Homage to the Milangueros
by Marisa Galindo
On the dance floor, the masters are the milongueros :
- They are the ones who know how to follow the line of dance.
- They are the ones who have an amazing musical ear.
- They are the ones who know each orchestra, the singers........ and sometimes they sing to you in a very low voice in your ear.
- They are the ones who, with only a little choreographic material, produce a strong exchange of emotions and pleasure, which sometimes becomes ecstasy, and which allows a woman to close her eyes and surrender totally.
- They lead very gently and precisely, using the whole body.
- They dance in a self-centered way, dedicated to the woman and themselves, not to the public.
- They protect the woman from possible accidents.
- They exhibit respect for the group, avoiding dangerous figures such as ganchos, boleos, etc.
- Within their musical sense, variations of rhythm and pauses are synchronized with the music, the woman and the other dancers.
July, 2000, B.A. Tango, Aņo VI, Nro. 113
Marisa Galindo, dancer, teacher and choreographer, wrote this for B.A. Tango Magazine. The little article had a strong impact among the milongueros and milongueras of Buenos Aires and Marisa Galindo was publicly thanked for her words.